What We Do
At Belfast & Lisburn Women’s Aid we provide a range of support services to women and children experiencing domestic abuse. These support services include emergency accommodation, specialist counselling, group work, personal development programmes, and one-to-one support. We also campaign for legislative change in Northern Ireland and constantly seek to raise awareness of the impact of domestic abuse with various online and social campaigns.
Our Mission Statement
- To provide safety and support for women and children who experience domestic abuse.
- To work for and with women and children to ensure their voices are heard and their needs are met.
- To challenge attitudes and beliefs that perpetuate domestic abuse as a form of violence against women.
Self-help and mutual support for women, by women, with women.
Our Core Aims
- To provide temporary refuge for women and their children suffering mental, physical, financial or sexual abuse in the home.
- To offer support and advice to any woman who asks for it, whether or not she is living in a refuge and offer supportive aftercare to women leaving the refuge.
- To encourage the woman to take control of her own future, whether this involves returning home or beginning an independent life.
- To meet the needs of children and young people affected by domestic abuse.
- To educate and inform the public, the media, the courts and statutory and voluntary agencies, always mindful of the fact that abused women are a direct result of the general position of women in our society.
To end domestic abuse in society and establish a future where domestic abuse is unacceptable and women and children are safe in their homes.
We are registered with the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland NIC 106099.
Belfast & Lisburn Women’s Aid is a Company Ltd by Guarantee. Company Reg No: NI020807